All engines require a healthy supply of air in order to burn fuel. The primary function of your BMW’s engine air filter is to clean the air before it enters your engine. This removes dangerous particles like dust, grime, and other debris.
Your air filter will become clogged if it becomes too dirty, and the engine will be unable to suck up enough air to the combustion chamber. When this happens, the engine will use more gas and less air, which will result in poor engine performance and a drop in fuel efficiency. Air filters should be replaced every 15,000 miles, but cleaning them in between can improve the efficiency of your vehicle. Try vacuuming and gently cleanse the air filter if you notice a decrease in mileage per gallon or performance.
Tips to Unclog an Air Filter in a BMW
A contaminated air filter can result in a rich air/fuel mixture by restricting engine airflow. This leads to an engine misfire and incomplete combustion. An engine misfire can greatly increase vehicle emissions. If you do not replace or clean your car filters, you will have to face a lot of consequences such as strange noise from the engine, decreased fuel mileage, and low performance from your engine. You can also experience a lack of acceleration and the smell of gasoline from your exhaust. For these reasons, it is important to regularly check your BMW’s air filter.
To keep this from happening, here are some tips and steps to follow to unclog an air filter in your BMW or vehicle:
- The first step to take is to locate the air filter and take it out of the compartment. During this step be extra careful. Place the filter on a flat plastic-covered surface. The plastic makes the cleaning easier.
- Remove as much loose filth as possible and shake it right into a trash bag that can be thrown out conveniently later.
- Use a vacuum cleaner to suck away any filth still left in the nooks and crannies. It is preferable to use a handheld, cordless vacuum that is small and light, since it will be easier to use and will not cause hand fatigue.
- Apply an air filter cleaner. Spray this onto the air filter from a hand’s length distance and let it settle for one or two minutes.
- After applying the air filter cleaner, it is important to gently scrub the air filter with a soft brush. You can use an old toothbrush to scrub.
- Rinse the solution off with water. Make sure that the water pressure is not too high; otherwise, it can damage the air filter. It’s a good idea to double-check that there is no residue left before proceeding.
- Gently shake the air filter to dump out excess water and let it drip dry.
- Return the filter to its original place. Make sure you confirm that everything is back in order and secured.
In a serious case where the engine is affected, it is advisable to bring your vehicle to our professionals to replace your air filter instead of doing it yourself.
Visit the Best Auto Shop in Escondido!
A clogged air filter reduces the amount of clean air that is getting through to the engine, decreasing its power and performance. Replacing your dirty engine air filter with a new and clean one can improve the acceleration of your engine.
The best auto mechanic shop in Escondido to unclog an air filter or get your BMW fixed is Escondido German Auto! We handle a variety of services and maintenance requirements that provide you with more affordable services while guaranteeing quality. We provide not only your BMW, but also Mercedes-Benz, MINI, Porsche, Sprinter, and Volkswagen with any service, maintenance, or repair needs.
We proudly serve
When it comes to German-made vehicles, drivers expect a higher level of quality in the design work, manufacturing, and performance. At Escondido German Auto, we provide the quality German auto repairs drivers expect from us for decades.
German cars are unique vehicles that require unique expertise. Our certified mechanics will accurately identify the issue and recommend the best action with guaranteed parts and service. Give us a call at (760) 741-3905 to schedule an appointment with us today!